Do You Know the ABC’s of Safe Sleep?
Parenthood is one of the most demanding and rewarding jobs a person can experience. The CFSID, through its programs of education, aims to assist anyone caring for an infant, in making informed decisions to reduce the risk of SIDS and other sudden and unexpected infant deaths, in an effort to prevent any parent or family from the devastating effects of the loss of a child.
Babies die of SIDS every week in Canada. Nothing we know at the present time will absolutely prevent SIDS, but the latest research shows that there are things you can do to make your baby safer. SIDS remains a mystery but this DVD and guide offer methods to substantially reduce the risk of SIDS and other sleep accidents.
For the Child: Information on Mental Health and Advocacy for Resource Parents (I Am Your Child Series)
- Understand the most common children’s mental health problems
- Navigate the local mental health service delivery system
- Develop alliances with birth parents, school systems, mental health providers, and case workers
- Feel increased comfort with seeking mental health services
- Recognize the rights and responsibilities of foster children, birth parents, kinship providers, foster parents, and caseworkers
- Identify who to call, what to say, and where to go to obtain the right services for the children in their care
- Be an effective advocate for the children in their care
Hold onto Your Kids
This DVD explores the importance of attachment in the development of children. In some cases, these relationships do not last for the length of time that children are still maturing. Often times, children turn their attachment relationship from caregivers to peers. However, peer relationships do not have the same benefits for the child as those with caregivers.SKU: 8-V-804
Tuning into Toddlers
In this DVD, Bob Marvin, Ph.D., Director, Mary D. Ainsworth Child-Parent Attachment Clinic, Virginia, USA, discusses the Circle of Security parenting style. Using everyday interactions between toddlers and their parents, he explains how using the Circle of Security method and tuning into toddlers supports attachment. Ten scenes are followed by a brief narration, as well as questions that can be used for group discussion.SKU: 5-V-501
Challenging Behaviors in Young Children: Techniques and Solutions
This DVD highlights expert information from two books Challenging Behaviors in Early Childhood Classroom Settings: Creating a Place for all Children and Addressing Challenging Behaviors in Early Childhood Settings: A Teacher’s Guide. The DVD uses footage from a daycare setting to highlight concepts that are introduced by experts throughout the film. Special attention is paid to methods that can be used to teach young children how to problem solve.Audience: Parents and Early Childhood EducatorsSKU: 8-V-814