Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 3: Postpartum
This video presents information about postpartum care, newborns, and an array of teen parenting challenges and joys. New teen parents candidly share personal stories about the realities of healing physically after birth, breastfeeding, and choosing child care.
- Physical Recovery & Postpartum Emotions – healing process, signs of infection, nutrition, rest, exercise, baby blues, signs of postpartum depression
- Baby Care & Behaviours – well-baby visits, feeding, sleeping, crying, bathing, diapering, when to call the doctor, SIDS, second-hand smoke, abusive head trauma (shaken baby syndrome), newborn senses
- Relationships & Parenting – establishing paternity, co-parenting, birth control, positive relationships, living situations, friend and family support, finishing school, child care options
With Dad: Strengthening the Circle of Care
How can we welcome fathers back into the circle of care in the post-residential school era in Canada? This documentary DVD captures in voice, image, and song, ways to strengthen the role of First Nations, Inuit, and Métis fathers in communities, programs, research, and policies in Canada – for the health of their children and the well-being of their families, communities, and nations.SKU: 5-V-534
Healthy Parenting Home Study
Guide and Manual, 2010
Healthy Parenting Home Study is for parents, parents-to-be, and caregivers of children birth to age five. The manual is divided into six age-related modules. Topics include: growth and development, physical and emotional needs, positive discipline strategies, speech and language development, safety, and importance of play.
Healthy Parenting Home Study is ideal for parents who like to learn on their own and/or those who do not have access to group parenting programs.
Mike’s Crush for Families: Teaching Relationship Skills to Adolescents with Autism, Asperger’s, or Intellectual Disabilities
Adolescents who have disabilities want and need friendships and romantic relationships, just like their peers. It is important to learn relationship skills during adolescence so that when mistakes are made, there is a safety net in place. The goal of this DVD and accompanying booklet is to teach adolescents and young adults with autism, Asperger’s, or intellectual disabilities about healthy relationships.SKU: 7-V-725
Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 1: Pregnancy
Hosted by an empathetic and positive young woman, viewers get the straight story as they follow six teens who share their personal pregnancy experiences. Watch how teens cope with their changing life and take the necessary steps to ensure a healthy pregnancy, birth, and baby.
- Prenatal Care & Nutrition – telling someone you’re pregnant, prenatal visits, nutrition, weight gain, warning signs
- Protecting Your Baby – avoiding harmful substances
- Physical & Emotional Changes – exercise, dental health, sleep, premature labour signs, emotional changes, relationship abuse
- Getting Support – friends and family, staying in school, alternative education options