Parents as Sexual Health Educators
Research indicates that parents play an important role in the sexual health education of their children. Although parents may find this role challenging, research indicates that parents can be effective sexual health educators when provided with support and accurate information. This literature review defines sexual health and sexual health education, discusses potential facilitators and barriers to parental provision of this type of education, and provides suggestions for parents. A list of online sexual resources for parents is also shared.
Sexually Transmitted Infections: What You Need to Know
Saskatchewan has high rates of sexually transmitted infections (STIs). If STIs are not treated, they can cause serious health issues for males, females, and unborn babies. This booklet is designed for use with youth. It provides information about nine different STIs including possible symptoms, how they are spread, how to get tested, and what happens if they are not treated. Information about the impact of STIs on fertility, pregnancy, and newborn babies is also shared.SKU: 7-017
Are You Positive You’re Negative? (Cree Translation)
This poster emphasizes the importance of testing for HIV during pregnancy. This poster was translated to Cree by the Saskatchewan Indian Cultural Centre.SKU: 7-109
Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 3: Postpartum
This video presents information about postpartum care, newborns, and an array of teen parenting challenges and joys. New teen parents candidly share personal stories about the realities of healing physically after birth, breastfeeding, and choosing child care.
- Physical Recovery & Postpartum Emotions – healing process, signs of infection, nutrition, rest, exercise, baby blues, signs of postpartum depression
- Baby Care & Behaviours – well-baby visits, feeding, sleeping, crying, bathing, diapering, when to call the doctor, SIDS, second-hand smoke, abusive head trauma (shaken baby syndrome), newborn senses
- Relationships & Parenting – establishing paternity, co-parenting, birth control, positive relationships, living situations, friend and family support, finishing school, child care options
Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 2: Labor & Birth
This video empowers pregnant teens by exploring the choices they have for labor and birth. Through the real-life experiences of five pregnant teens, viewers learn about the anatomy of a pregnancy, different phases of labor, natural comfort techniques, and medical procedures.
- Anatomy & Birth – 3D anatomy of a pregnancy, labor signs, labor support, positions for labor, natural labor techniques
- Medical Procedures – induction, analgesics, epidural, cesarean
- Newborns – appearance, skin-to-skin contact, rooming-in, colostrum, lactation support