Motivational Interviewing (MI) is an effective way of talking with people about CHANGE. Change is not always easy but using MI with your clients aids in the following:
- Helps them consider their own reasons for change
- Decreases their resistance to change
- Builds motivation to change
- Strengthens their commitment to change.
MI is useful in supporting people in a variety of life changes (i.e., alcohol use, smoking, gambling, exercise, nutrition, diabetes management). It can be used in various settings such as one on one, telephone, group counseling, text formats, family consultations and many more.
This training will provide participants with the following:
- An understanding of the principles of MI
- An opportunity to learn and practice MI communication skills and techniques that will support their clients to make changes
- Strategies to raise important health and lifestyle issues with their clients
- Ideas for continued MI learning and practice after the workshop