Alcohol and the Brain
This video summarizes research that shows how alcohol affects parts of the brain, both immediately and long term. It also discusses theories on how alcohol causes addiction and some of the complications for treatment.
Pregnancy and Alcohol: A Doctor’s Advice
This brochure includes a brief summary of medical research about the impact of alcohol on a developing fetus. It also provides information and advice that a doctor could give to women about how alcohol affects a developing baby, and steps a woman can take to protect her unborn baby from exposure to alcohol. Included in the brochure are some ideas about supports to help women quit drinking.SKU: 3-151
Hammered: A Sober Look at Youth and Alcohol
Guide and Manual, 2016
This manual provides guidance on delivering ‘Hammered: A Sober Look at Youth and Alcohol’ by:
- providing evidence to support the topics being introduced,
- increasing ability to engage youth in activities and discussions related to alcohol-related harms, and
- increasing knowledge of the risks associated with alcohol use, including FASD.
Additionally, it assists in creating opportunities for Saskatchewan youth to:
- think about their own experiences with alcohol,
- discuss their attitudes and beliefs about alcohol,
- talk about the impacts of alcohol personally and in their communities, and 4) receive evidence-based information to help them make informed decisions regarding their alcohol use.
What Have You Heard about Alcohol and Pregnancy?
Information Card, 2014
This information card is written in plain language, for people who are pregnant or trying to get pregnant. It explains how drinking alcohol can affect a developing baby and cause a lifelong disability.SKU: 3-126
Everything You Need to Know about Alcohol in 22 Minutes
This DVD shows that teenage drinkers are more likely to experience health problems, school problems, and social dysfunction. It shows the effects of alcohol on the liver, immune system, and gastro-intestinal system, and how binge drinking can lead to alcohol poisoning and death. It also explains how alcohol impacts brain development during adolescence and permanently damages parts of the brain associated with memory. The video details how a mother’s drinking during pregnancy can cause Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and its impact on her child’s entire life. It includes first-person accounts of teens’ DUI tragedies, and describes the legal ramifications of underage drinking. The video helps viewers determine whether they have a drinking problem, plus where and how to get help.Audience: Grades 7-12SKU: 3-V-368