A Child with Special Needs (I Am Your Child Series)
Finding out that your child has special needs is the beginning of a remarkable journey. Whether your child is developmentally delayed or has a significant physical disability, you want your child to be happy and safe, and to develop to her fullest potential.
In this video, families of children with special needs share their stories to help others in similar circumstances understand that, while every child is unique, there are common experiences, emotions, and challenges families are likely to encounter as they work to help their child.
This video provides information on:
- What to do when you find out that your child has a special need
- Moving from confusion and grief to acceptance and empowerment
- Finding answers and getting help
- Speaking up as your child’s best advocate
- The importance of looking beyond the diagnosis
- Focusing on your child’s unique strengths
For the Child: Information on Mental Health and Advocacy for Resource Parents (I Am Your Child Series)
- Understand the most common children’s mental health problems
- Navigate the local mental health service delivery system
- Develop alliances with birth parents, school systems, mental health providers, and case workers
- Feel increased comfort with seeking mental health services
- Recognize the rights and responsibilities of foster children, birth parents, kinship providers, foster parents, and caseworkers
- Identify who to call, what to say, and where to go to obtain the right services for the children in their care
- Be an effective advocate for the children in their care
The Art and Science of Transplanting Children
This course explores the attachment needs of children and how these can become disrupted when a child is moved into a new environment. Each presentation is designed so that the material builds on the information learned in previous presentations. This course is suitable for anyone working with children or who is responsible for making policy decisions regarding children who are placed into care. This can be used for individual professional development or could be used as a series of one-hour staff development sessions. Foster and adoptive parents will also benefit from this information.SKU: 8-V-808
Your Healthy Baby (I Am Your Child Series)
In order to give a child a healthy start in life, parents and caregivers need the most up-to-date information on children’s health and nutrition issues.
In this video, Phylicia Rashad delivers expert advice on how parents can help their children establish healthy habits, with information on:
- How to maintain good health during pregnancy
- Bottle-feeding versus breast-feeding
- When you and your child should visit the doctor
- What foods to feed your child and when
- The importance of exercise
Why Early Childhood Matters (I Am Your Child Series)
Scientific research confirms that children’s earliest experiences – starting even before they’re born – dramatically affect their ability to succeed in school, and in life. In this video, our country’s leaders in government, business, crime prevention, and academia voice their commitment to our nation’s youngest children and emphasize the crucial need for increased investments in early childhood.
This video is designed to help you motivate your community to create and support programs so that every child enters school ready to succeed. Our future depends on the investments we make today in our youngest children.SKU: 5-V-525