Child Death Review in Canada: A National Scan
This report provides information about current child death review processes that exist in each of the provinces and territories in Canada, based on interviews with key informants in each region. Particular attention is paid to those provinces with a coordinated, multi-disciplinary, provincial child death review process. Recommendations and advice for others initiating a child death review process are also included.
A Child with Special Needs (I Am Your Child Series)
Finding out that your child has special needs is the beginning of a remarkable journey. Whether your child is developmentally delayed or has a significant physical disability, you want your child to be happy and safe, and to develop to her fullest potential.
In this video, families of children with special needs share their stories to help others in similar circumstances understand that, while every child is unique, there are common experiences, emotions, and challenges families are likely to encounter as they work to help their child.
This video provides information on:
- What to do when you find out that your child has a special need
- Moving from confusion and grief to acceptance and empowerment
- Finding answers and getting help
- Speaking up as your child’s best advocate
- The importance of looking beyond the diagnosis
- Focusing on your child’s unique strengths
Power to Parent: Helping Children Grow Up
This is part 2 of a 3-part series. This course is recommended for professional development purposes and should be used in a consecutive fashion as each session builds on previous information. As suggested by the title, the DVD speaks to the topic of helping children grow up. Sessions are broken down as follows:
- Parents and the miracle of maturation
- How to give children the rest they need to grow
- Keys to independence, individuality, and responsibility
- How to help children become their own persons
- Keys to resilience, resourcefulness, and recovery
- How to help children accept limits and adapt to circumstances
- Keys to emotional and social maturity
- Helping children become considerate and find their self-control
The Heart of Learning
Much of the way children think and feel about themselves and their world is determined in the first three years of their lives. In this formative time, the brain is developing a complex “wiring” system, making connections that will strongly influence children’s patterns of emotional, social, and psychological behaviour – and how well they can learn, handle stress, thrive, and function in the world. The video kindles deep, natural parenting instincts, while providing clear and accessible strategies for loving and nurturing interaction with children.SKU: 5-V-508
Your Healthy Baby (I Am Your Child Series)
In order to give a child a healthy start in life, parents and caregivers need the most up-to-date information on children’s health and nutrition issues.
In this video, Phylicia Rashad delivers expert advice on how parents can help their children establish healthy habits, with information on:
- How to maintain good health during pregnancy
- Bottle-feeding versus breast-feeding
- When you and your child should visit the doctor
- What foods to feed your child and when
- The importance of exercise