Elijah’s Story is the true story of a 16-month-old baby boy who was shaken to death by his biological father. The film follows the young family from the birth of Elijah to the 911 emergency call and sentencing hearing. Testimonies are given by Elijah’s mom and grandparents, as well as by the doctor, detective, and judge in the case. Elijah’s mom shares her emotions as she tries to go on, and Elijah’s dad speaks out from prison, encouraging others to learn from his mistakes.
For the Child: Information on Mental Health and Advocacy for Resource Parents (I Am Your Child Series)
- Understand the most common children’s mental health problems
- Navigate the local mental health service delivery system
- Develop alliances with birth parents, school systems, mental health providers, and case workers
- Feel increased comfort with seeking mental health services
- Recognize the rights and responsibilities of foster children, birth parents, kinship providers, foster parents, and caseworkers
- Identify who to call, what to say, and where to go to obtain the right services for the children in their care
- Be an effective advocate for the children in their care
The Secret Life of the Brain
The following DVDs are part of a series entitled “The Secret Life of the Brain”.
- Episode One: The Baby’s Brain: Wider than the Sky
- Episode Two: The Child’s Brain: Syllable from Sound
- Episode Three: The Teenage Brain: A World of Their Own
- Episode Four: The Adult Brain: To Think by Feeling
- Episode Five: The Aging Brain: Through Many Lives
This series examines brain development and function throughout the lifetime, from prenatal development to later life. Presenting personal stories, the series highlights various diseases and disabilities, and describes the cutting edge research and resulting knowledge about the brain.SKU: 8-V-802
Healthy Baby Healthy Brain
This DVD provides expert commentary, real life scenarios, and practical strategies for parents to help integrate the information that is being shared. A Facilitator’s Guide is included that allows frontline staff to use the video with groups of parents or on a one-to-one basis to introduce the importance of brain development. This workshop can also be used for professional development. The key messages of the workshop and DVD are “start early”, “love builds brains”, “play builds brains”, “health builds brains”, and “baby’s world matters”.
This video complements the material that can be found at www.HealthyBabyHealthyBrain.ca.SKU: 8-V-813
Experience joy and happiness at its purest in this life-affirming, universal celebration of the magic and innocence of babies. Proving that if you surround your baby with love, it doesn’t matter what culture you’re from or what childrearing practices you follow. “Babies” travels the globe following four children from vastly different corners of the world – Ponijao from Namibia, Bayarjargal from Mongolia, Mari from Tokyo, and Hattie from San Francisco.SKU: 5-V-509