Infant Mortality in Saskatchewan: Evidence to Inform Public Health Practice
This document was prepared to describe the relationship between modifiable risk factors and infant mortality. It is meant to provide guidance, strategies, and support to help expand or develop programs that may contribute to the reduction of infant mortality in Saskatchewan. It includes a review of the literature regarding prevalent risk factors associated with infant mortality, as well as identifying promising practices related to those modifiable risk factors.
For the Child: Information on Mental Health and Advocacy for Resource Parents (I Am Your Child Series)
- Understand the most common children’s mental health problems
- Navigate the local mental health service delivery system
- Develop alliances with birth parents, school systems, mental health providers, and case workers
- Feel increased comfort with seeking mental health services
- Recognize the rights and responsibilities of foster children, birth parents, kinship providers, foster parents, and caseworkers
- Identify who to call, what to say, and where to go to obtain the right services for the children in their care
- Be an effective advocate for the children in their care
Experience joy and happiness at its purest in this life-affirming, universal celebration of the magic and innocence of babies. Proving that if you surround your baby with love, it doesn’t matter what culture you’re from or what childrearing practices you follow. “Babies” travels the globe following four children from vastly different corners of the world – Ponijao from Namibia, Bayarjargal from Mongolia, Mari from Tokyo, and Hattie from San Francisco.SKU: 5-V-509
Ten Things Every Child Needs
Can a child’s IQ be improved during the first years of life? Researchers say yes, if the child receives ten simple things shown to help children’s brains develop.
Ten Things Every Child Needs explains how our earliest interactions influence a child’s brain development. Hosted by popular television personality Tim Reid, Ten Things Every Child Needs is an invaluable guide that parents and caregivers can follow to give a child his or her best start in life.SKU: 5-V-503
The Secret Life of the Brain
The following DVDs are part of a series entitled “The Secret Life of the Brain”.
- Episode One: The Baby’s Brain: Wider than the Sky
- Episode Two: The Child’s Brain: Syllable from Sound
- Episode Three: The Teenage Brain: A World of Their Own
- Episode Four: The Adult Brain: To Think by Feeling
- Episode Five: The Aging Brain: Through Many Lives
This series examines brain development and function throughout the lifetime, from prenatal development to later life. Presenting personal stories, the series highlights various diseases and disabilities, and describes the cutting edge research and resulting knowledge about the brain.SKU: 8-V-802