The Heart of Learning
Much of the way children think and feel about themselves and their world is determined in the first three years of their lives. In this formative time, the brain is developing a complex “wiring” system, making connections that will strongly influence children’s patterns of emotional, social, and psychological behaviour – and how well they can learn, handle stress, thrive, and function in the world. The video kindles deep, natural parenting instincts, while providing clear and accessible strategies for loving and nurturing interaction with children.
A Child with Special Needs (I Am Your Child Series)
Finding out that your child has special needs is the beginning of a remarkable journey. Whether your child is developmentally delayed or has a significant physical disability, you want your child to be happy and safe, and to develop to her fullest potential.
In this video, families of children with special needs share their stories to help others in similar circumstances understand that, while every child is unique, there are common experiences, emotions, and challenges families are likely to encounter as they work to help their child.
This video provides information on:
- What to do when you find out that your child has a special need
- Moving from confusion and grief to acceptance and empowerment
- Finding answers and getting help
- Speaking up as your child’s best advocate
- The importance of looking beyond the diagnosis
- Focusing on your child’s unique strengths
The Secret Life of the Brain
The following DVDs are part of a series entitled “The Secret Life of the Brain”.
- Episode One: The Baby’s Brain: Wider than the Sky
- Episode Two: The Child’s Brain: Syllable from Sound
- Episode Three: The Teenage Brain: A World of Their Own
- Episode Four: The Adult Brain: To Think by Feeling
- Episode Five: The Aging Brain: Through Many Lives
This series examines brain development and function throughout the lifetime, from prenatal development to later life. Presenting personal stories, the series highlights various diseases and disabilities, and describes the cutting edge research and resulting knowledge about the brain.SKU: 8-V-802
Experience joy and happiness at its purest in this life-affirming, universal celebration of the magic and innocence of babies. Proving that if you surround your baby with love, it doesn’t matter what culture you’re from or what childrearing practices you follow. “Babies” travels the globe following four children from vastly different corners of the world – Ponijao from Namibia, Bayarjargal from Mongolia, Mari from Tokyo, and Hattie from San Francisco.SKU: 5-V-509
Understanding Traumatized and Maltreated Children: The Core Concepts
This DVD consists of seven, half-hour presentations focused on child maltreatment and trauma. Dr. Bruce Perry, from the ChildTrauma Academy, presents information on the following topics:
- Challenging our beliefs
- The amazing human brain
- How the brain develops: The importance of early childhood development
- Neglect: How poverty of experience disrupts development
- The fear response: The impact of childhood trauma
- Living and working with traumatized children
- Violence and childhood