The Secret Life of the Brain
The following DVDs are part of a series entitled “The Secret Life of the Brain”.
- Episode One: The Baby’s Brain: Wider than the Sky
- Episode Two: The Child’s Brain: Syllable from Sound
- Episode Three: The Teenage Brain: A World of Their Own
- Episode Four: The Adult Brain: To Think by Feeling
- Episode Five: The Aging Brain: Through Many Lives
This series examines brain development and function throughout the lifetime, from prenatal development to later life. Presenting personal stories, the series highlights various diseases and disabilities, and describes the cutting edge research and resulting knowledge about the brain.
The First Years Last Forever (I Am Your Child Video Series)
The new research in brain development tells us of the vital importance of the relationship between caregiver and child in the critical first years of life. New parents have a wonderful opportunity to help their child reach their full potential.
This video includes information on:
- Bonding and attachment
- Child care
- Health and nutrition
The Heart of Learning
Much of the way children think and feel about themselves and their world is determined in the first three years of their lives. In this formative time, the brain is developing a complex “wiring” system, making connections that will strongly influence children’s patterns of emotional, social, and psychological behaviour – and how well they can learn, handle stress, thrive, and function in the world. The video kindles deep, natural parenting instincts, while providing clear and accessible strategies for loving and nurturing interaction with children.SKU: 5-V-508
Why Early Childhood Matters (I Am Your Child Series)
Scientific research confirms that children’s earliest experiences – starting even before they’re born – dramatically affect their ability to succeed in school, and in life. In this video, our country’s leaders in government, business, crime prevention, and academia voice their commitment to our nation’s youngest children and emphasize the crucial need for increased investments in early childhood.
This video is designed to help you motivate your community to create and support programs so that every child enters school ready to succeed. Our future depends on the investments we make today in our youngest children.SKU: 5-V-525
For the Child: Information on Mental Health and Advocacy for Resource Parents (I Am Your Child Series)
- Understand the most common children’s mental health problems
- Navigate the local mental health service delivery system
- Develop alliances with birth parents, school systems, mental health providers, and case workers
- Feel increased comfort with seeking mental health services
- Recognize the rights and responsibilities of foster children, birth parents, kinship providers, foster parents, and caseworkers
- Identify who to call, what to say, and where to go to obtain the right services for the children in their care
- Be an effective advocate for the children in their care