The Secret Life of the Brain
Attributes to meet: Videos: Loan Only, Videos
Loan: condition met
The following DVDs are part of a series entitled “The Secret Life of the Brain”.
- Episode One: The Baby’s Brain: Wider than the Sky
- Episode Two: The Child’s Brain: Syllable from Sound
- Episode Three: The Teenage Brain: A World of Their Own
- Episode Four: The Adult Brain: To Think by Feeling
- Episode Five: The Aging Brain: Through Many Lives
This series examines brain development and function throughout the lifetime, from prenatal development to later life. Presenting personal stories, the series highlights various diseases and disabilities, and describes the cutting edge research and resulting knowledge about the brain.
A Child with Special Needs (I Am Your Child Series)
Finding out that your child has special needs is the beginning of a remarkable journey. Whether your child is developmentally delayed or has a significant physical disability, you want your child to be happy and safe, and to develop to her fullest potential.
In this video, families of children with special needs share their stories to help others in similar circumstances understand that, while every child is unique, there are common experiences, emotions, and challenges families are likely to encounter as they work to help their child.
This video provides information on:
- What to do when you find out that your child has a special need
- Moving from confusion and grief to acceptance and empowerment
- Finding answers and getting help
- Speaking up as your child’s best advocate
- The importance of looking beyond the diagnosis
- Focusing on your child’s unique strengths
Your Healthy Baby (I Am Your Child Series)
In order to give a child a healthy start in life, parents and caregivers need the most up-to-date information on children’s health and nutrition issues.
In this video, Phylicia Rashad delivers expert advice on how parents can help their children establish healthy habits, with information on:
- How to maintain good health during pregnancy
- Bottle-feeding versus breast-feeding
- When you and your child should visit the doctor
- What foods to feed your child and when
- The importance of exercise
The Art and Science of Transplanting Children
This course explores the attachment needs of children and how these can become disrupted when a child is moved into a new environment. Each presentation is designed so that the material builds on the information learned in previous presentations. This course is suitable for anyone working with children or who is responsible for making policy decisions regarding children who are placed into care. This can be used for individual professional development or could be used as a series of one-hour staff development sessions. Foster and adoptive parents will also benefit from this information.SKU: 8-V-808
Experience joy and happiness at its purest in this life-affirming, universal celebration of the magic and innocence of babies. Proving that if you surround your baby with love, it doesn’t matter what culture you’re from or what childrearing practices you follow. “Babies” travels the globe following four children from vastly different corners of the world – Ponijao from Namibia, Bayarjargal from Mongolia, Mari from Tokyo, and Hattie from San Francisco.SKU: 5-V-509