The Six Core Strengths for Healthy Childhood Development
In this DVD, Dr. Bruce Perry outlines the core strengths that, if developed in early childhood, help children to grow into creative, social, humane, and caring humans. These core strengths are only expressed if a child is given opportunities to develop them. They include attachment, self-regulation, affiliation, attunement, tolerance, and respect.
The Secret Life of the Brain
The following DVDs are part of a series entitled “The Secret Life of the Brain”.
- Episode One: The Baby’s Brain: Wider than the Sky
- Episode Two: The Child’s Brain: Syllable from Sound
- Episode Three: The Teenage Brain: A World of Their Own
- Episode Four: The Adult Brain: To Think by Feeling
- Episode Five: The Aging Brain: Through Many Lives
This series examines brain development and function throughout the lifetime, from prenatal development to later life. Presenting personal stories, the series highlights various diseases and disabilities, and describes the cutting edge research and resulting knowledge about the brain.SKU: 8-V-802
A Child with Special Needs (I Am Your Child Series)
Finding out that your child has special needs is the beginning of a remarkable journey. Whether your child is developmentally delayed or has a significant physical disability, you want your child to be happy and safe, and to develop to her fullest potential.
In this video, families of children with special needs share their stories to help others in similar circumstances understand that, while every child is unique, there are common experiences, emotions, and challenges families are likely to encounter as they work to help their child.
This video provides information on:
- What to do when you find out that your child has a special need
- Moving from confusion and grief to acceptance and empowerment
- Finding answers and getting help
- Speaking up as your child’s best advocate
- The importance of looking beyond the diagnosis
- Focusing on your child’s unique strengths
Cherish Me for I am a Child
This brightly coloured wall hanging with the poem “Cherish Me for I am a Child” talks about the importance of a child growing up feeling safe, secure, and happy and in order for a child to do this he needs to be protected, cared for, and loved by the adults in his life. This can be used as a wall hanging for anyone to have in their home or office.SKU: 5-504
For the Child: Information on Mental Health and Advocacy for Resource Parents (I Am Your Child Series)
- Understand the most common children’s mental health problems
- Navigate the local mental health service delivery system
- Develop alliances with birth parents, school systems, mental health providers, and case workers
- Feel increased comfort with seeking mental health services
- Recognize the rights and responsibilities of foster children, birth parents, kinship providers, foster parents, and caseworkers
- Identify who to call, what to say, and where to go to obtain the right services for the children in their care
- Be an effective advocate for the children in their care