The Six Core Strengths for Healthy Childhood Development
In this DVD, Dr. Bruce Perry outlines the core strengths that, if developed in early childhood, help children to grow into creative, social, humane, and caring humans. These core strengths are only expressed if a child is given opportunities to develop them. They include attachment, self-regulation, affiliation, attunement, tolerance, and respect.
The Secret Life of the Brain
The following DVDs are part of a series entitled “The Secret Life of the Brain”.
- Episode One: The Baby’s Brain: Wider than the Sky
- Episode Two: The Child’s Brain: Syllable from Sound
- Episode Three: The Teenage Brain: A World of Their Own
- Episode Four: The Adult Brain: To Think by Feeling
- Episode Five: The Aging Brain: Through Many Lives
This series examines brain development and function throughout the lifetime, from prenatal development to later life. Presenting personal stories, the series highlights various diseases and disabilities, and describes the cutting edge research and resulting knowledge about the brain.SKU: 8-V-802
A Child with Special Needs (I Am Your Child Series)
Finding out that your child has special needs is the beginning of a remarkable journey. Whether your child is developmentally delayed or has a significant physical disability, you want your child to be happy and safe, and to develop to her fullest potential.
In this video, families of children with special needs share their stories to help others in similar circumstances understand that, while every child is unique, there are common experiences, emotions, and challenges families are likely to encounter as they work to help their child.
This video provides information on:
- What to do when you find out that your child has a special need
- Moving from confusion and grief to acceptance and empowerment
- Finding answers and getting help
- Speaking up as your child’s best advocate
- The importance of looking beyond the diagnosis
- Focusing on your child’s unique strengths
Child Death Review in Canada: A National Scan
This report provides information about current child death review processes that exist in each of the provinces and territories in Canada, based on interviews with key informants in each region. Particular attention is paid to those provinces with a coordinated, multi-disciplinary, provincial child death review process. Recommendations and advice for others initiating a child death review process are also included.SKU: 2-460
Understanding Traumatized and Maltreated Children: The Core Concepts
This DVD consists of seven, half-hour presentations focused on child maltreatment and trauma. Dr. Bruce Perry, from the ChildTrauma Academy, presents information on the following topics:
- Challenging our beliefs
- The amazing human brain
- How the brain develops: The importance of early childhood development
- Neglect: How poverty of experience disrupts development
- The fear response: The impact of childhood trauma
- Living and working with traumatized children
- Violence and childhood