Your Choices Matter Facilitator’s Guide
Guide and Manual, 2014
In conjunction with the Your Choices Matter Video, the Facilitator’s Guide can be used to engage youth and communities to have conversations about health and behaviour choices that they are making today to ensure the best health outcome for themselves and their future children. The guide provides background information and several lesson plans, which can be used in the classroom or in a group setting, to address the various topics introduced in the video.
While the Your Choices Matter Video is meant to introduce the topic of infant mortality and health behaviours, the lesson plans are a way to take this a step further. Each lesson addresses common risk factors for infant mortality and can help guide discussion about the impact of these risk factors for youth today and in the future, and for their future children. Each lesson has been linked to the Saskatchewan Curriculum and, where applicable, includes marking rubrics.
Understanding Traumatized and Maltreated Children: The Core Concepts
This DVD consists of seven, half-hour presentations focused on child maltreatment and trauma. Dr. Bruce Perry, from the ChildTrauma Academy, presents information on the following topics:
- Challenging our beliefs
- The amazing human brain
- How the brain develops: The importance of early childhood development
- Neglect: How poverty of experience disrupts development
- The fear response: The impact of childhood trauma
- Living and working with traumatized children
- Violence and childhood
Hold onto Your Kids
This DVD explores the importance of attachment in the development of children. In some cases, these relationships do not last for the length of time that children are still maturing. Often times, children turn their attachment relationship from caregivers to peers. However, peer relationships do not have the same benefits for the child as those with caregivers.SKU: 8-V-804
A Child with Special Needs (I Am Your Child Series)
Finding out that your child has special needs is the beginning of a remarkable journey. Whether your child is developmentally delayed or has a significant physical disability, you want your child to be happy and safe, and to develop to her fullest potential.
In this video, families of children with special needs share their stories to help others in similar circumstances understand that, while every child is unique, there are common experiences, emotions, and challenges families are likely to encounter as they work to help their child.
This video provides information on:
- What to do when you find out that your child has a special need
- Moving from confusion and grief to acceptance and empowerment
- Finding answers and getting help
- Speaking up as your child’s best advocate
- The importance of looking beyond the diagnosis
- Focusing on your child’s unique strengths
Your Healthy Baby (I Am Your Child Series)
In order to give a child a healthy start in life, parents and caregivers need the most up-to-date information on children’s health and nutrition issues.
In this video, Phylicia Rashad delivers expert advice on how parents can help their children establish healthy habits, with information on:
- How to maintain good health during pregnancy
- Bottle-feeding versus breast-feeding
- When you and your child should visit the doctor
- What foods to feed your child and when
- The importance of exercise