Your Choices Matter Facilitator’s Guide
Guide and Manual, 2014
In conjunction with the Your Choices Matter Video, the Facilitator’s Guide can be used to engage youth and communities to have conversations about health and behaviour choices that they are making today to ensure the best health outcome for themselves and their future children. The guide provides background information and several lesson plans, which can be used in the classroom or in a group setting, to address the various topics introduced in the video.
While the Your Choices Matter Video is meant to introduce the topic of infant mortality and health behaviours, the lesson plans are a way to take this a step further. Each lesson addresses common risk factors for infant mortality and can help guide discussion about the impact of these risk factors for youth today and in the future, and for their future children. Each lesson has been linked to the Saskatchewan Curriculum and, where applicable, includes marking rubrics.
Why Early Childhood Matters (I Am Your Child Series)
Scientific research confirms that children’s earliest experiences – starting even before they’re born – dramatically affect their ability to succeed in school, and in life. In this video, our country’s leaders in government, business, crime prevention, and academia voice their commitment to our nation’s youngest children and emphasize the crucial need for increased investments in early childhood.
This video is designed to help you motivate your community to create and support programs so that every child enters school ready to succeed. Our future depends on the investments we make today in our youngest children.SKU: 5-V-525
The Secret Life of the Brain
The following DVDs are part of a series entitled “The Secret Life of the Brain”.
- Episode One: The Baby’s Brain: Wider than the Sky
- Episode Two: The Child’s Brain: Syllable from Sound
- Episode Three: The Teenage Brain: A World of Their Own
- Episode Four: The Adult Brain: To Think by Feeling
- Episode Five: The Aging Brain: Through Many Lives
This series examines brain development and function throughout the lifetime, from prenatal development to later life. Presenting personal stories, the series highlights various diseases and disabilities, and describes the cutting edge research and resulting knowledge about the brain.SKU: 8-V-802
For the Child: Information on Mental Health and Advocacy for Resource Parents (I Am Your Child Series)
- Understand the most common children’s mental health problems
- Navigate the local mental health service delivery system
- Develop alliances with birth parents, school systems, mental health providers, and case workers
- Feel increased comfort with seeking mental health services
- Recognize the rights and responsibilities of foster children, birth parents, kinship providers, foster parents, and caseworkers
- Identify who to call, what to say, and where to go to obtain the right services for the children in their care
- Be an effective advocate for the children in their care
Your Healthy Baby (I Am Your Child Series)
In order to give a child a healthy start in life, parents and caregivers need the most up-to-date information on children’s health and nutrition issues.
In this video, Phylicia Rashad delivers expert advice on how parents can help their children establish healthy habits, with information on:
- How to maintain good health during pregnancy
- Bottle-feeding versus breast-feeding
- When you and your child should visit the doctor
- What foods to feed your child and when
- The importance of exercise