Your Choices Matter Facilitator’s Guide
Guide and Manual, 2014
In conjunction with the Your Choices Matter Video, the Facilitator’s Guide can be used to engage youth and communities to have conversations about health and behaviour choices that they are making today to ensure the best health outcome for themselves and their future children. The guide provides background information and several lesson plans, which can be used in the classroom or in a group setting, to address the various topics introduced in the video.
While the Your Choices Matter Video is meant to introduce the topic of infant mortality and health behaviours, the lesson plans are a way to take this a step further. Each lesson addresses common risk factors for infant mortality and can help guide discussion about the impact of these risk factors for youth today and in the future, and for their future children. Each lesson has been linked to the Saskatchewan Curriculum and, where applicable, includes marking rubrics.
The Heart of Learning
Much of the way children think and feel about themselves and their world is determined in the first three years of their lives. In this formative time, the brain is developing a complex “wiring” system, making connections that will strongly influence children’s patterns of emotional, social, and psychological behaviour – and how well they can learn, handle stress, thrive, and function in the world. The video kindles deep, natural parenting instincts, while providing clear and accessible strategies for loving and nurturing interaction with children.SKU: 5-V-508
Your Healthy Baby (I Am Your Child Series)
In order to give a child a healthy start in life, parents and caregivers need the most up-to-date information on children’s health and nutrition issues.
In this video, Phylicia Rashad delivers expert advice on how parents can help their children establish healthy habits, with information on:
- How to maintain good health during pregnancy
- Bottle-feeding versus breast-feeding
- When you and your child should visit the doctor
- What foods to feed your child and when
- The importance of exercise
For the Child: Information on Mental Health and Advocacy for Resource Parents (I Am Your Child Series)
- Understand the most common children’s mental health problems
- Navigate the local mental health service delivery system
- Develop alliances with birth parents, school systems, mental health providers, and case workers
- Feel increased comfort with seeking mental health services
- Recognize the rights and responsibilities of foster children, birth parents, kinship providers, foster parents, and caseworkers
- Identify who to call, what to say, and where to go to obtain the right services for the children in their care
- Be an effective advocate for the children in their care
Protect Your Baby’s Head Shape: Preventing Flat Spots on Your Baby’s Head
This brochure provides parents and caregivers with information on positional plagiocephaly, or “flat head”. Information includes how to prevent flat spots and what to do if a flat spot is found on baby’s head.SKU: 4-101