Your Choices Matter Lesson Plans
Lesson Plans, 2020
For use in conjunction with the Your Choices Matter Video and Facilitator’s Guide, the Your Choices Matter Lesson Plans are a way to take the discussion of infant mortality and health behaviours a step further. Each lesson addresses common risk factors for infant mortality and can help guide discussion about the impact of these risk factors for youth today and in the future, and for their future children. Each lesson has been linked to the Saskatchewan Curriculum and, where applicable, includes marking rubrics.
The Facilitator’s Guide and Lesson Plans can be used to engage youth and communities to have conversations about health and behaviour choices that they are making today to ensure the best health outcomes for themselves and their future children. The Guide provides background information and several lesson plans, which can be used in the classroom or in a group setting, to address the various topics introduced in the video.
The Secret Life of the Brain
The following DVDs are part of a series entitled “The Secret Life of the Brain”.
- Episode One: The Baby’s Brain: Wider than the Sky
- Episode Two: The Child’s Brain: Syllable from Sound
- Episode Three: The Teenage Brain: A World of Their Own
- Episode Four: The Adult Brain: To Think by Feeling
- Episode Five: The Aging Brain: Through Many Lives
This series examines brain development and function throughout the lifetime, from prenatal development to later life. Presenting personal stories, the series highlights various diseases and disabilities, and describes the cutting edge research and resulting knowledge about the brain.SKU: 8-V-802
Your Healthy Baby (I Am Your Child Series)
In order to give a child a healthy start in life, parents and caregivers need the most up-to-date information on children’s health and nutrition issues.
In this video, Phylicia Rashad delivers expert advice on how parents can help their children establish healthy habits, with information on:
- How to maintain good health during pregnancy
- Bottle-feeding versus breast-feeding
- When you and your child should visit the doctor
- What foods to feed your child and when
- The importance of exercise
Power to Parent: Common Challenges
Dr. Neufeld discusses ways to address challenging behaviour in children while maintaining attachment relationships. The eight sessions are as follows:
- Thinking developmentally when facing challenges
- Recognizing the signs of trouble
- Living with a sensitive child
- Cultivating resilience in a child
- Leading an alpha child
- Disciplining a stuck child
- Putting the developmental approach into practice
Child Death Review in Canada: A National Scan
This report provides information about current child death review processes that exist in each of the provinces and territories in Canada, based on interviews with key informants in each region. Particular attention is paid to those provinces with a coordinated, multi-disciplinary, provincial child death review process. Recommendations and advice for others initiating a child death review process are also included.SKU: 2-460