Your Choices Matter Lesson Plans
Lesson Plans, 2020
For use in conjunction with the Your Choices Matter Video and Facilitator’s Guide, the Your Choices Matter Lesson Plans are a way to take the discussion of infant mortality and health behaviours a step further. Each lesson addresses common risk factors for infant mortality and can help guide discussion about the impact of these risk factors for youth today and in the future, and for their future children. Each lesson has been linked to the Saskatchewan Curriculum and, where applicable, includes marking rubrics.
The Facilitator’s Guide and Lesson Plans can be used to engage youth and communities to have conversations about health and behaviour choices that they are making today to ensure the best health outcomes for themselves and their future children. The Guide provides background information and several lesson plans, which can be used in the classroom or in a group setting, to address the various topics introduced in the video.
For the Child: Information on Mental Health and Advocacy for Resource Parents (I Am Your Child Series)
- Understand the most common children’s mental health problems
- Navigate the local mental health service delivery system
- Develop alliances with birth parents, school systems, mental health providers, and case workers
- Feel increased comfort with seeking mental health services
- Recognize the rights and responsibilities of foster children, birth parents, kinship providers, foster parents, and caseworkers
- Identify who to call, what to say, and where to go to obtain the right services for the children in their care
- Be an effective advocate for the children in their care
Challenging Behaviors in Young Children: Techniques and Solutions
This DVD highlights expert information from two books Challenging Behaviors in Early Childhood Classroom Settings: Creating a Place for all Children and Addressing Challenging Behaviors in Early Childhood Settings: A Teacher’s Guide. The DVD uses footage from a daycare setting to highlight concepts that are introduced by experts throughout the film. Special attention is paid to methods that can be used to teach young children how to problem solve.Audience: Parents and Early Childhood EducatorsSKU: 8-V-814
Power to Parent: The Vital Connection
This is part 1 of a 3-part series. In this DVD, Dr. Neufeld examines the importance of the attachment relationship that children have with their caregivers and its continuance into adolescence. He discusses the difficulties that can occur if attachments to peers begin to compete with the attachment children have with their caregiver(s).SKU: 8-V-805
Your Healthy Baby (I Am Your Child Series)
In order to give a child a healthy start in life, parents and caregivers need the most up-to-date information on children’s health and nutrition issues.
In this video, Phylicia Rashad delivers expert advice on how parents can help their children establish healthy habits, with information on:
- How to maintain good health during pregnancy
- Bottle-feeding versus breast-feeding
- When you and your child should visit the doctor
- What foods to feed your child and when
- The importance of exercise