Getting Men Involved: Young Men as Fathers
Many educational programs are designed for teen mothers. Here is a video program designed to help young men, especially teen fathers. It is known that a child’s total emotional and physical development is better attained when both parents are involved. This DVD educates viewers about the important role of men in a child’s life. Real life experiences of teen fathers and other young men are shared with viewers.
Sometimes, despite the amazing emotions of fatherhood, men can feel like little more than bystanders. However, babies know their fathers too, and from the moment of birth, they are eager to interact with them. Dads, as well as moms, are crucial in helping their babies build relationships. Science tells us these relationships are critical for the healthy development of babies’ brains. By following a group of families, this film teaches how to recognize the earliest signs of infant communication. These early interactions enrich your time as a father and give your baby the best possible start in life.SKU: 5-V-529
Mike’s Crush for Families: Teaching Relationship Skills to Adolescents with Autism, Asperger’s, or Intellectual Disabilities
Adolescents who have disabilities want and need friendships and romantic relationships, just like their peers. It is important to learn relationship skills during adolescence so that when mistakes are made, there is a safety net in place. The goal of this DVD and accompanying booklet is to teach adolescents and young adults with autism, Asperger’s, or intellectual disabilities about healthy relationships.SKU: 7-V-725
Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 3: Postpartum
This video presents information about postpartum care, newborns, and an array of teen parenting challenges and joys. New teen parents candidly share personal stories about the realities of healing physically after birth, breastfeeding, and choosing child care.
- Physical Recovery & Postpartum Emotions – healing process, signs of infection, nutrition, rest, exercise, baby blues, signs of postpartum depression
- Baby Care & Behaviours – well-baby visits, feeding, sleeping, crying, bathing, diapering, when to call the doctor, SIDS, second-hand smoke, abusive head trauma (shaken baby syndrome), newborn senses
- Relationships & Parenting – establishing paternity, co-parenting, birth control, positive relationships, living situations, friend and family support, finishing school, child care options
Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 1: Pregnancy
Hosted by an empathetic and positive young woman, viewers get the straight story as they follow six teens who share their personal pregnancy experiences. Watch how teens cope with their changing life and take the necessary steps to ensure a healthy pregnancy, birth, and baby.
- Prenatal Care & Nutrition – telling someone you’re pregnant, prenatal visits, nutrition, weight gain, warning signs
- Protecting Your Baby – avoiding harmful substances
- Physical & Emotional Changes – exercise, dental health, sleep, premature labour signs, emotional changes, relationship abuse
- Getting Support – friends and family, staying in school, alternative education options