Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 3: Postpartum
This video presents information about postpartum care, newborns, and an array of teen parenting challenges and joys. New teen parents candidly share personal stories about the realities of healing physically after birth, breastfeeding, and choosing child care.
- Physical Recovery & Postpartum Emotions – healing process, signs of infection, nutrition, rest, exercise, baby blues, signs of postpartum depression
- Baby Care & Behaviours – well-baby visits, feeding, sleeping, crying, bathing, diapering, when to call the doctor, SIDS, second-hand smoke, abusive head trauma (shaken baby syndrome), newborn senses
- Relationships & Parenting – establishing paternity, co-parenting, birth control, positive relationships, living situations, friend and family support, finishing school, child care options
Getting Men Involved: Young Men as Fathers
Many educational programs are designed for teen mothers. Here is a video program designed to help young men, especially teen fathers. It is known that a child’s total emotional and physical development is better attained when both parents are involved. This DVD educates viewers about the important role of men in a child’s life. Real life experiences of teen fathers and other young men are shared with viewers.SKU: 5-V-532
Connections for Life: Attachment Resource Kit
Guide and Manual, 2007
This kit provides educational resources and tools for those who work with families. The kit provides evidence-based information on what attachment means, why it is important, what influences it, and what we can do to help promote healthy, secure attachment relationships.
The tools for supporting families are the “Attachment Activities”. These are simple, enjoyable activities that parents and other caregivers can do with children to help promote the development of healthy, secure attachment relationships. There are seven activities that can be done with a child of any age; a list of activities that can be done before the baby is born; and a list of parenting myths and what we know now to facilitate discussion. The “Attachment Activities” include: “Group Guidelines” that provide suggestions for how to introduce the activities to parent groups in a strength-based way, using adult education techniques; and “Handouts” for parents with brief descriptions of the activities. Each “Attachment Activity” is independent of the others, so you can introduce one, some, or all of the activities, depending on what works best for you.
All of the materials are available in both English and French.
Note – The information in this kit should not be used to diagnose children or provide therapy. Only trained professionals should provide diagnosis or therapy.SKU: 6-000
To Be a Father (I Am Your Child Video Series)
New research has shown that fathers can have an enormous impact on children – from how well they succeed in school, to how they get along with their friends.
This generation of dads is responding to the challenge, by taking a more active role in everything from changing diapers to helping with homework … and it’s paying off, as you’ll hear from men who talk about the rewards of being close to their kids.
This video provides information on:
- How fathering begins even before the baby is born
- How dads can connect with their children right from the start
- What fathers can do to foster a close relationship with their children – even when they live miles apart
- How fathers can overcome the challenges of parenting under special circumstances, like separation and divorce
Cherish Me for I Am a Child
This brightly coloured wall hanging with the poem “Cherish Me for I Am a Child” talks about the importance of a child growing up feeling safe, secure, and happy and in order for a child to do this he needs to be protected, cared for, and loved by the adults in his life. This can be used as a wall hanging for anyone to have in their home or office.SKU: 5-504