Messages from the Heart: Caring for Our Children
Residential schools and child welfare policies leave echoes in First Nations, Inuit, and Métis communities. Traditional ways of rearing children have been interrupted. This video captures with sensitivity and honesty the journey to healing as voiced by participants in this extraordinary event, hosted in Ottawa March 12-14 by the National Collaborating Centre for Aboriginal Health. Woven throughout are the cultural talents, performances, and insights of many of the participants.
Preparing for Parenthood (I Am Your Child Video Series)
Becoming a parent is one of life’s most wonderful – and challenging – experiences. If you are planning a pregnancy, there are many things you can do right now to help give your future child the best possible start in life. If you’re already pregnant, you can begin making changes today that will help your baby enter the world as healthy as possible.SKU: 5-V-517
Healthy Beginnings, Supportive Communities, a Strong Future
In 2009, the Métis Centre of the National Aboriginal Health Organization (NAHO) met with Métis in different parts of Canada to share and collect stories, teachings, and information on maternal-child well-being. This DVD is the result of learnings from Métis midwives, health professionals, Elders, and parents. The objective of this project was to collect and share experiences, traditions, and health information for the benefit of Métis families.SKU: 5-V-540
To Be a Father (I Am Your Child Video Series)
New research has shown that fathers can have an enormous impact on children – from how well they succeed in school, to how they get along with their friends.
This generation of dads is responding to the challenge, by taking a more active role in everything from changing diapers to helping with homework … and it’s paying off, as you’ll hear from men who talk about the rewards of being close to their kids.
This video provides information on:
- How fathering begins even before the baby is born
- How dads can connect with their children right from the start
- What fathers can do to foster a close relationship with their children – even when they live miles apart
- How fathers can overcome the challenges of parenting under special circumstances, like separation and divorce
Discipline – Teaching Limits with Love (I Am Your Child Video Series)
Discipline – setting limits – is one of the most difficult challenges parents face. In this video, Dr. T. Berry Brazelton, America’s foremost pediatrician, shows parents that setting limits is not punishment, but a loving way to teach a child how to control his or her own behaviour.
Included is information on:
- Why a child actually looks for limits
- Techniques for setting effective limits from the start
- Why a firm but gentle approach is the most effective
- Managing your own emotions and avoiding physical punishment
- Why the limits children learn in their first few years build a foundation for the rest of their lives