Quality Child Care – Making the Right Choices for You and Your Child (I Am Your Child Video Series)
Finding the right child care is often challenging – but is one of the most important decisions a parent will ever make.
Children’s intellectual and emotional development is strongly influenced by the quality of care that they receive in the first few years of their lives.
This means that the right kind of child care can be a wonderful opportunity to enrich children’s lives and help them realize their full potential.
This video includes information on:
- Why quality child care is important for your child’s healthy development
- What you should look for when choosing child care
- Questions to ask a potential caregiver
- Questions to ask yourself when looking at a child care setting
- Important information to communicate to your caregiver
Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 1: Pregnancy
Hosted by an empathetic and positive young woman, viewers get the straight story as they follow six teens who share their personal pregnancy experiences. Watch how teens cope with their changing life and take the necessary steps to ensure a healthy pregnancy, birth, and baby.
- Prenatal Care & Nutrition – telling someone you’re pregnant, prenatal visits, nutrition, weight gain, warning signs
- Protecting Your Baby – avoiding harmful substances
- Physical & Emotional Changes – exercise, dental health, sleep, premature labour signs, emotional changes, relationship abuse
- Getting Support – friends and family, staying in school, alternative education options
How to Raise Emotionally Healthy Children: Volume 3 – Preschoolers
Volume 3 of this 3-volume set teaches parents how to support their preschooler’s social and cognitive growth. Featuring common challenges, this program shows parents how to modify their interactions to meet their child’s critical emotional needs: to feel respected, important, accepted, included, and secure. Shows real-life scenarios. Includes tips on improving parents’ emotional health. Segments include: The Five Critical Emotional Needs of Preschoolers, Fighting Siblings, Getting Attention, and Power Struggles.SKU: 5-V-537
Messages from the Heart: Caring for Our Children
Residential schools and child welfare policies leave echoes in First Nations, Inuit, and Métis communities. Traditional ways of rearing children have been interrupted. This video captures with sensitivity and honesty the journey to healing as voiced by participants in this extraordinary event, hosted in Ottawa March 12-14 by the National Collaborating Centre for Aboriginal Health. Woven throughout are the cultural talents, performances, and insights of many of the participants.SKU: 5-V-541
Sometimes, despite the amazing emotions of fatherhood, men can feel like little more than bystanders. However, babies know their fathers too, and from the moment of birth, they are eager to interact with them. Dads, as well as moms, are crucial in helping their babies build relationships. Science tells us these relationships are critical for the healthy development of babies’ brains. By following a group of families, this film teaches how to recognize the earliest signs of infant communication. These early interactions enrich your time as a father and give your baby the best possible start in life.SKU: 5-V-529