To Be a Father (I Am Your Child Video Series)
New research has shown that fathers can have an enormous impact on children – from how well they succeed in school, to how they get along with their friends.
This generation of dads is responding to the challenge, by taking a more active role in everything from changing diapers to helping with homework … and it’s paying off, as you’ll hear from men who talk about the rewards of being close to their kids.
This video provides information on:
- How fathering begins even before the baby is born
- How dads can connect with their children right from the start
- What fathers can do to foster a close relationship with their children – even when they live miles apart
- How fathers can overcome the challenges of parenting under special circumstances, like separation and divorce
Getting Men Involved: Young Men as Fathers
Many educational programs are designed for teen mothers. Here is a video program designed to help young men, especially teen fathers. It is known that a child’s total emotional and physical development is better attained when both parents are involved. This DVD educates viewers about the important role of men in a child’s life. Real life experiences of teen fathers and other young men are shared with viewers.SKU: 5-V-532
Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 3: Postpartum
This video presents information about postpartum care, newborns, and an array of teen parenting challenges and joys. New teen parents candidly share personal stories about the realities of healing physically after birth, breastfeeding, and choosing child care.
- Physical Recovery & Postpartum Emotions – healing process, signs of infection, nutrition, rest, exercise, baby blues, signs of postpartum depression
- Baby Care & Behaviours – well-baby visits, feeding, sleeping, crying, bathing, diapering, when to call the doctor, SIDS, second-hand smoke, abusive head trauma (shaken baby syndrome), newborn senses
- Relationships & Parenting – establishing paternity, co-parenting, birth control, positive relationships, living situations, friend and family support, finishing school, child care options
Preparing for Parenthood (I Am Your Child Video Series)
Becoming a parent is one of life’s most wonderful – and challenging – experiences. If you are planning a pregnancy, there are many things you can do right now to help give your future child the best possible start in life. If you’re already pregnant, you can begin making changes today that will help your baby enter the world as healthy as possible.SKU: 5-V-517
Fatherhood: Indigenous Men’s Journeys
Six First Nations fathers in Canada tell what it has been like for them to become fathers and to grow into fatherhood. Most have overcome huge social obstacles and personal challenges. These men hope that other fathers will be encouraged by their stories – their sense of being on a journey and not needing to know everything about fatherhood before getting involved in caring for their children. Their message is one of hope: “You can do it!” The fathers also hope that their stories will inspire practitioners to find new ways to include fathers in child care decisions, programs, and family services.
The men speak in a personal way to fathers as well as to boys and other men considering becoming fathers. Presented in six interview segments (about 6 minutes each) with a screening guide to facilitate discussion, the DVD is an effective tool for professional development workshops and courses in family health, social services, law, early childhood education, and youth care.SKU: 5-V-530