An Environmental Scan of Canadian Resources Designed to Foster Healthy Adolescent Dating Relationships
Unhealthy adolescent dating relationships, including abusive relationships, are associated with negative outcomes like poor psychological health, suicidal ideation, and substance use; these outcomes continue into young adulthood. Therefore, it is important that adolescents learn how to develop and negotiate healthy dating relationships, both for their current and future health. This report shares information about available online Canadian resources and/or programs that focus on healthy adolescent dating relationships. This information can be used as a starting point for anyone seeking materials or services to educate adolescents about healthy relationships.
KIS-SK (Keep It Safe Saskatchewan) Smart Phone App
Information Card, 2017
To help enable individuals to make healthy choices and informed decisions regarding their personal reproductive health, the Prevention Institute has created a smart phone app, Keep it Safe Saskatchewan (KIS-SK), focused on contraceptives and STIs.
The app allows users to:
- Find free contraceptives and sexually transmitted infection (STI) testing sites in Saskatchewan
- Set reminders for taking contraceptives or booking health appointments
- Learn about contraceptives and STIs
- View helpful videos about using contraceptives
Information cards providing information about the app are available for download or order.SKU: 7-013
Messages for Parents: Nine to Twelve Years
Information Card, Revised 2019
This information card has been developed to support parents in their role as the primary sexual health educators of their children.
It is important that parents engage their children in sexual health discussion at an early age, beginning with teaching the proper terminology of body parts. Early introduction of the topic increases the confidence and comfort of both the parents and children to talk about sexual health at later years.SKU: 7-207
Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 1: Pregnancy
Hosted by an empathetic and positive young woman, viewers get the straight story as they follow six teens who share their personal pregnancy experiences. Watch how teens cope with their changing life and take the necessary steps to ensure a healthy pregnancy, birth, and baby.
- Prenatal Care & Nutrition – telling someone you’re pregnant, prenatal visits, nutrition, weight gain, warning signs
- Protecting Your Baby – avoiding harmful substances
- Physical & Emotional Changes – exercise, dental health, sleep, premature labour signs, emotional changes, relationship abuse
- Getting Support – friends and family, staying in school, alternative education options