Available Saskatchewan-Based Resources and Supports for Pregnant and Parenting Adolescents
Due to the potential adverse outcomes related to adolescent pregnancy and parenting, and in order to reduce the occurrence of these outcomes, it is important that pregnant and parenting adolescents are provided with appropriate resources and support. This report provides a snapshot of the available resources and supports for pregnant and parenting adolescents in Saskatchewan. It may be used to educate others about what is currently available, refine existing resources, inform program development, and/or address service provision gaps.
Sexual Development Flip Chart and Notes
Flip Chart, 2018
This flip chart includes nurse’s notes for age groups birth to 2 years, 2-5 years, 5-8 years, 9-12 years, and 13-16 years. It has been developed to support health professionals in their support of parents as the primary sexual health educators of their children.SKU: 7-203
Sexually Transmitted Infections: Are You Positive You’re Negative?
This brochure, designed for use with youth, explains what sexually transmitted infections (STIs) are, how to avoid STIs, and how to find out if you have an STI. It also includes information about the effects of STIs on fertility, pregnancies, and newborn babies.SKU: 7-002
Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 3: Postpartum
This video presents information about postpartum care, newborns, and an array of teen parenting challenges and joys. New teen parents candidly share personal stories about the realities of healing physically after birth, breastfeeding, and choosing child care.
- Physical Recovery & Postpartum Emotions – healing process, signs of infection, nutrition, rest, exercise, baby blues, signs of postpartum depression
- Baby Care & Behaviours – well-baby visits, feeding, sleeping, crying, bathing, diapering, when to call the doctor, SIDS, second-hand smoke, abusive head trauma (shaken baby syndrome), newborn senses
- Relationships & Parenting – establishing paternity, co-parenting, birth control, positive relationships, living situations, friend and family support, finishing school, child care options
Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 2: Labor & Birth
This video empowers pregnant teens by exploring the choices they have for labor and birth. Through the real-life experiences of five pregnant teens, viewers learn about the anatomy of a pregnancy, different phases of labor, natural comfort techniques, and medical procedures.
- Anatomy & Birth – 3D anatomy of a pregnancy, labor signs, labor support, positions for labor, natural labor techniques
- Medical Procedures – induction, analgesics, epidural, cesarean
- Newborns – appearance, skin-to-skin contact, rooming-in, colostrum, lactation support