Effective Sexual Health Education for Youth
Attributes to meet: PDF: Download File, Reports
Download File: condition met
Evidence Summary, revised 2020
Rates of STIs and adolescent pregnancy in Saskatchewan indicate that ongoing sexual health education is important and necessary. Well-planned and implemented sexual health education programs have been found to be effective in helping youth reduce the risk of STI/HIV infection and unintended pregnancies. This evidence summary highlights the importance of comprehensive sexual health education and explains characteristics that make this type of education effective.
For more information about effective sexual health education, please see the complete literature review titled “Effective Evidence-Based Sexual Health Education for Youth”. The current summary was based on this literature review, as well as updated guidelines (e.g., SIECCAN’s 2019 Canadian Guidelines for Sexual Health Education).
Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 2: Labor & Birth
This video empowers pregnant teens by exploring the choices they have for labor and birth. Through the real-life experiences of five pregnant teens, viewers learn about the anatomy of a pregnancy, different phases of labor, natural comfort techniques, and medical procedures.
- Anatomy & Birth – 3D anatomy of a pregnancy, labor signs, labor support, positions for labor, natural labor techniques
- Medical Procedures – induction, analgesics, epidural, cesarean
- Newborns – appearance, skin-to-skin contact, rooming-in, colostrum, lactation support
Sexually Transmitted Infections: What You Need to Know
Booklet, Revised 2021
Saskatchewan has high rates of sexually transmitted infections (STIs). If STIs are not treated, they can cause serious health issues for individuals and unborn babies. This booklet is designed for use with youth. It provides information about nine different STIs including possible symptoms, how they are spread, how to get tested, and what happens if they are not treated. Information about the impact of STIs on fertility, pregnancy, and newborn babies is also shared.SKU: 7-017
Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 3: Postpartum
This video presents information about postpartum care, newborns, and an array of teen parenting challenges and joys. New teen parents candidly share personal stories about the realities of healing physically after birth, breastfeeding, and choosing child care.
- Physical Recovery & Postpartum Emotions – healing process, signs of infection, nutrition, rest, exercise, baby blues, signs of postpartum depression
- Baby Care & Behaviours – well-baby visits, feeding, sleeping, crying, bathing, diapering, when to call the doctor, SIDS, second-hand smoke, abusive head trauma (shaken baby syndrome), newborn senses
- Relationships & Parenting – establishing paternity, co-parenting, birth control, positive relationships, living situations, friend and family support, finishing school, child care options