Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 2: Labor & Birth
This video empowers pregnant teens by exploring the choices they have for labor and birth. Through the real-life experiences of five pregnant teens, viewers learn about the anatomy of a pregnancy, different phases of labor, natural comfort techniques, and medical procedures.
- Anatomy & Birth – 3D anatomy of a pregnancy, labor signs, labor support, positions for labor, natural labor techniques
- Medical Procedures – induction, analgesics, epidural, cesarean
- Newborns – appearance, skin-to-skin contact, rooming-in, colostrum, lactation support
HIV and Pregnancy – (Plains Cree Translation)
This poster states that women living with HIV can have healthy pregnancies and healthy babies. This poster was translated to Plains Cree by the Saskatchewan Indigenous Cultural Centre.SKU: 7-101
The Latest about HIV and AIDS: What Every Student Still Needs to Know
There is still no cure for AIDS, and teens and people in their 20’s account for many of the new cases of HIV infection. Using crisp animations, the program clearly details how HIV invades CD4 cells and weakens the body’s immune system and can lead to AIDS. The program debunks myths about how the virus is transmitted and identifies those behaviours that do, and do not, put people at risk of HIV infection. The program reviews the most recent information on HIV testing and stresses the importance of treatment for protecting one’s health and the health of others. A variety of HIV-positive people describe how they got infected, why they got tested, and how their lives have been affected by the virus.
Two supplemental programs are included on this DVD – How to Use a Female Condom and How to Use a Male Condom. These programs use graphics to demonstrate the proper way to use a condom. Before using these optional programs, you may need to check with your school’s policy on sex education as to whether parental permission is required.
Includes a PDF copy of teacher’s resource book.
Audience: Grade 7-Post SecondarySKU: 7-V-706
Protect Your Fertility
States that sexually transmitted infections (STIs) can damage fertility, harm pregnancies, and affect newborn babies.SKU: 7-012
Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 1: Pregnancy
Hosted by an empathetic and positive young woman, viewers get the straight story as they follow six teens who share their personal pregnancy experiences. Watch how teens cope with their changing life and take the necessary steps to ensure a healthy pregnancy, birth, and baby.
- Prenatal Care & Nutrition – telling someone you’re pregnant, prenatal visits, nutrition, weight gain, warning signs
- Protecting Your Baby – avoiding harmful substances
- Physical & Emotional Changes – exercise, dental health, sleep, premature labour signs, emotional changes, relationship abuse
- Getting Support – friends and family, staying in school, alternative education options