Pediatric Care and Support for Children Living with HIV in Saskatchewan
In the hopes of further educating health and allied health professionals who may work with children living with HIV, the review summarized the issues and challenges commonly faced by children living with HIV, along with their care and support needs. Read “Treatment and Care Issues Specific to Adolescents Living with HIV” (Resource 7-520), this is a review supplement for this report.
Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 1: Pregnancy
Hosted by an empathetic and positive young woman, viewers get the straight story as they follow six teens who share their personal pregnancy experiences. Watch how teens cope with their changing life and take the necessary steps to ensure a healthy pregnancy, birth, and baby.
- Prenatal Care & Nutrition – telling someone you’re pregnant, prenatal visits, nutrition, weight gain, warning signs
- Protecting Your Baby – avoiding harmful substances
- Physical & Emotional Changes – exercise, dental health, sleep, premature labour signs, emotional changes, relationship abuse
- Getting Support – friends and family, staying in school, alternative education options
Are You Positive You’re Negative? Protect Yourself and Others. Get Tested.
Rates of adolescent pregnancy and STIs in Saskatchewan are among the highest in Canada. The number of individuals testing positive for HIV in Saskatchewan is almost twice the Canadian average. These high rates are of concern because adolescent pregnancy is associated with poorer outcomes for the mom and the baby. Likewise, if STIs and HIV are not treated, they can cause serious health issues for males, females, and unborn babies. Adolescent pregnancy, STIs, and HIV can be prevented with proper contraception use, testing, and treatment.
This poster was created to promote further awareness of the need for STI and HIV testing in Saskatchewan and to highlight the importance of contraceptive use.SKU: 7-016
Messages for Parents: Five to Eight Years
Information Card, 2012
This information card has been developed to support parents in their role as the primary sexual health educators of their children.
It is important that parents engage their children in sexual health discussion at an early age, beginning with teaching the proper terminology of body parts. Early introduction of the topic increases the confidence and comfort of both the parents and children to talk about sexual health at later years.SKU: 7-206
Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 2: Labor & Birth
This video empowers pregnant teens by exploring the choices they have for labor and birth. Through the real-life experiences of five pregnant teens, viewers learn about the anatomy of a pregnancy, different phases of labor, natural comfort techniques, and medical procedures.
- Anatomy & Birth – 3D anatomy of a pregnancy, labor signs, labor support, positions for labor, natural labor techniques
- Medical Procedures – induction, analgesics, epidural, cesarean
- Newborns – appearance, skin-to-skin contact, rooming-in, colostrum, lactation support