Pediatric Care and Support for Children Living with HIV in Saskatchewan
In the hopes of further educating health and allied health professionals who may work with children living with HIV, the review summarized the issues and challenges commonly faced by children living with HIV, along with their care and support needs. Read “Treatment and Care Issues Specific to Adolescents Living with HIV” (Resource 7-520), this is a review supplement for this report.
Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 2: Labor & Birth
This video empowers pregnant teens by exploring the choices they have for labor and birth. Through the real-life experiences of five pregnant teens, viewers learn about the anatomy of a pregnancy, different phases of labor, natural comfort techniques, and medical procedures.
- Anatomy & Birth – 3D anatomy of a pregnancy, labor signs, labor support, positions for labor, natural labor techniques
- Medical Procedures – induction, analgesics, epidural, cesarean
- Newborns – appearance, skin-to-skin contact, rooming-in, colostrum, lactation support
Sexual Development Flip Chart and Notes
Flip Chart, 2018
This flip chart includes nurse’s notes for age groups birth to 2 years, 2-5 years, 5-8 years, 9-12 years, and 13-16 years. It has been developed to support health professionals in their support of parents as the primary sexual health educators of their children.SKU: 7-203
The Latest about HIV and AIDS: What Every Student Still Needs to Know
There is still no cure for AIDS, and teens and people in their 20’s account for many of the new cases of HIV infection. Using crisp animations, the program clearly details how HIV invades CD4 cells and weakens the body’s immune system and can lead to AIDS. The program debunks myths about how the virus is transmitted and identifies those behaviours that do, and do not, put people at risk of HIV infection. The program reviews the most recent information on HIV testing and stresses the importance of treatment for protecting one’s health and the health of others. A variety of HIV-positive people describe how they got infected, why they got tested, and how their lives have been affected by the virus.
Two supplemental programs are included on this DVD – How to Use a Female Condom and How to Use a Male Condom. These programs use graphics to demonstrate the proper way to use a condom. Before using these optional programs, you may need to check with your school’s policy on sex education as to whether parental permission is required.
Includes a PDF copy of teacher’s resource book.
Audience: Grade 7-Post SecondarySKU: 7-V-706
Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 3: Postpartum
This video presents information about postpartum care, newborns, and an array of teen parenting challenges and joys. New teen parents candidly share personal stories about the realities of healing physically after birth, breastfeeding, and choosing child care.
- Physical Recovery & Postpartum Emotions – healing process, signs of infection, nutrition, rest, exercise, baby blues, signs of postpartum depression
- Baby Care & Behaviours – well-baby visits, feeding, sleeping, crying, bathing, diapering, when to call the doctor, SIDS, second-hand smoke, abusive head trauma (shaken baby syndrome), newborn senses
- Relationships & Parenting – establishing paternity, co-parenting, birth control, positive relationships, living situations, friend and family support, finishing school, child care options