Treatment and Care Issues Specific to Adolescents Living with HIV
This review is a supplement to “Pediatric Care and Support for Children Living with HIV in Saskatchewan” (Resource 7-519). Information is provided on common issues facing adolescents who were perinatally infected with HIV.
Messages for Parents: Two to Five Years
Information Card, Revised 2019
This information card has been developed to support parents in their role as the primary sexual health educators of their children.
It is important that parents engage their children in sexual health discussion at an early age, beginning with teaching the proper terminology of body parts. Early introduction of the topic increases the confidence and comfort of both the parents and children to talk about sexual health at later years.SKU: 7-205
Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 2: Labor & Birth
This video empowers pregnant teens by exploring the choices they have for labor and birth. Through the real-life experiences of five pregnant teens, viewers learn about the anatomy of a pregnancy, different phases of labor, natural comfort techniques, and medical procedures.
- Anatomy & Birth – 3D anatomy of a pregnancy, labor signs, labor support, positions for labor, natural labor techniques
- Medical Procedures – induction, analgesics, epidural, cesarean
- Newborns – appearance, skin-to-skin contact, rooming-in, colostrum, lactation support
HIV…it’s Different Now.
Saskatchewan continues to have high rates of HIV infection. Due to the availability of antiretroviral medication, HIV is no longer classified as a death sentence, but is instead seen as a manageable chronic disease. Women who are living with HIV are faced with many challenges when they discover they are pregnant, are pregnant and discover they are living with HIV, or are considering having a baby while living with HIV.
This poster shares the message that with appropriate treatment and prenatal care, women living with HIV can have healthy pregnancies and healthy babies.SKU: 7-019
Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 3: Postpartum
This video presents information about postpartum care, newborns, and an array of teen parenting challenges and joys. New teen parents candidly share personal stories about the realities of healing physically after birth, breastfeeding, and choosing child care.
- Physical Recovery & Postpartum Emotions – healing process, signs of infection, nutrition, rest, exercise, baby blues, signs of postpartum depression
- Baby Care & Behaviours – well-baby visits, feeding, sleeping, crying, bathing, diapering, when to call the doctor, SIDS, second-hand smoke, abusive head trauma (shaken baby syndrome), newborn senses
- Relationships & Parenting – establishing paternity, co-parenting, birth control, positive relationships, living situations, friend and family support, finishing school, child care options