Adolescent Pregnancy: Risk and Protective Factors
Based on the literature review, “Adolescent Pregnancy in Saskatchewan: Best Practices for Prevention”, this summary highlights risk and protective factors associated with adolescent pregnancy, along with considerations for adolescent pregnancy prevention.
Sexually Transmitted Infections: Are You Positive You’re Negative?
This brochure, designed for use with youth, explains what sexually transmitted infections (STIs) are, how to avoid STIs, and how to find out if you have an STI. It also includes information about the effects of STIs on fertility, pregnancies, and newborn babies.SKU: 7-002
The Latest about HIV and AIDS: What Every Student Still Needs to Know
There is still no cure for AIDS, and teens and people in their 20’s account for many of the new cases of HIV infection. Using crisp animations, the program clearly details how HIV invades CD4 cells and weakens the body’s immune system and can lead to AIDS. The program debunks myths about how the virus is transmitted and identifies those behaviours that do, and do not, put people at risk of HIV infection. The program reviews the most recent information on HIV testing and stresses the importance of treatment for protecting one’s health and the health of others. A variety of HIV-positive people describe how they got infected, why they got tested, and how their lives have been affected by the virus.
Two supplemental programs are included on this DVD – How to Use a Female Condom and How to Use a Male Condom. These programs use graphics to demonstrate the proper way to use a condom. Before using these optional programs, you may need to check with your school’s policy on sex education as to whether parental permission is required.
Includes a PDF copy of teacher’s resource book.
Audience: Grade 7-Post SecondarySKU: 7-V-706
Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 3: Postpartum
This video presents information about postpartum care, newborns, and an array of teen parenting challenges and joys. New teen parents candidly share personal stories about the realities of healing physically after birth, breastfeeding, and choosing child care.
- Physical Recovery & Postpartum Emotions – healing process, signs of infection, nutrition, rest, exercise, baby blues, signs of postpartum depression
- Baby Care & Behaviours – well-baby visits, feeding, sleeping, crying, bathing, diapering, when to call the doctor, SIDS, second-hand smoke, abusive head trauma (shaken baby syndrome), newborn senses
- Relationships & Parenting – establishing paternity, co-parenting, birth control, positive relationships, living situations, friend and family support, finishing school, child care options
Healthy Steps for Teen Parents, 2nd Edition, Volume 1: Pregnancy
Hosted by an empathetic and positive young woman, viewers get the straight story as they follow six teens who share their personal pregnancy experiences. Watch how teens cope with their changing life and take the necessary steps to ensure a healthy pregnancy, birth, and baby.
- Prenatal Care & Nutrition – telling someone you’re pregnant, prenatal visits, nutrition, weight gain, warning signs
- Protecting Your Baby – avoiding harmful substances
- Physical & Emotional Changes – exercise, dental health, sleep, premature labour signs, emotional changes, relationship abuse
- Getting Support – friends and family, staying in school, alternative education options